Golden paste is an incredible anti-inflammatory, anti-allergy and anti-cancer super food concoction that you can most likely whip up from your store cupboard ingredients. Four simple ingredients: water, turmeric, coconut oil and black pepper combine to provide a potent preventative / healing supplement for our dogs. What’s not to love?
There are records of the healing benefits of turmeric that go back to 250BC and it has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years! There are now many peer reviewed scientific and clinical studies supporting it which all testify to its’ incredible anti-inflammatory properties. There are additionally a long list of health benefits of coconut oil which dogs absolutely love the taste of as well.
The primary pharmacological component in turmeric is curcumin; Curcumin has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, wound healing and anticancer properties. It can help fight diseases like arthritis, diabetes, cancer, liver disease, gastrointestinal issues and more in dogs. It is better absorbed when combined with piperine, found in black pepper.
½ cup turmeric powder
1 cup water
1/3 cup cold pressed coconut oil, raw & unrefined
2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper*
* if using powdered black pepper use only ½ tea spoon
- place the turmeric powder and water into a small pot and whisk well together till combined
- Heat on a low flame until the mixture begin to simmer and has turned to a paste
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (5 minutes)
- Mix in the black pepper and coconut oil until you have a homogenous mixture.
- Cool and place in a jar
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks
- Serving: begin with half a teaspoon twice a day per dog and work up to 1 or two teaspoons twice a day for larger dogs. Mix in with their food.
N.B. Do not give golden paste to dogs with gallbladder stones or bile duct obstruction as curcumin makes the gallbladder contract. Take care with diabetic dogs as golden paste can lower blood sugar mildly. Always seek your vet’s advice if in doubt.